Sunday, December 12, 2010

Walking in an Airport Wonderland

The Holidays are here, and for many of us, that means travel! After recent talks about airport security in class over the past week, I began to think about how much airport security has evolved since 9/11, and whether some recent security measures are a violation of civil liberties. At the beginning of 2010, the TSA began adding full body scanners into airports as a means of security. Some say that these body scanners are a complete violation of people's right to privacy, but are they? Is the nation justified in doing this, as long as it is for the protection of the people?
This is a commonly brought up question, and I think it can be almost impossible to answer. I completely see both sides of the situation. The country wants to make our lives a little safer, but have they gone too far this time? It's interesting to think about. If you find yourself in an airport over vacation, try to answer the question. Has airport security gone too far?

2 comments:

  1. Kristen-
    I don't think that airport security has gone to far in regard to full body scanners. Even some schools need scanners to ensure the safety of students. However, I believe taking certain persons aside without even going through the scanner yet goes to far. I'm thinking of our Spanish teacher ( :) ) and when he said that without fail he is pulled aside and interrogated because of his Middle Eastern last name. Airport security should treat all passengers equally- even if that baseline is a little bit invasive. Please keep in mind, I have not been to an airport in a while so I may not be up to speed, but as I see it, the scanners are not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe my boundaries are a little looser than the average person's, but I agree with Glenna that full body scanners are not going to far. I understand how they protect us from threats of people hiding explosives or whatnot in their clothing or the folds of their body (ew), and from what I've heard, there are alternative security measures that can be conducted for those who are uncomfortable with the full-body scanners for due to modesty, or for other reasons. As long as 1st Amendment rights stay intact, airport security measures don't bother me too much beyond a little surfacey irritation, and I personally don't believe one's body to be a form of speech or expression.

    ReplyDelete