Sunday, May 22, 2011

1. Write Blog 2. Edit Blog 3. Post Blog

During class on Friday, we spent the majority of the period discussing the idea of lists. Who knew they were that important? But I was completely surprised at what I heard.
When asked, about half the class said that they loved making lists, whether it was a bucket list, or a to do list, or a goals and aspirations list. The other class said that they rarely make lists at all. I was a part of that half.
Many of the class members discussed how rewarding it was to make a list, and then complete every task on it. The minute they crossed off a task, they felt an immediate sense of accomplishment. The same went for the "bucket lists", or the list of things you want to do before you die. Many felt that crossing items off your bucket list is an extremely rewarding task.
I almost feel the exact opposite. While I can definitely see how making and completing lists may make others happy, it doesn't apply to me. Especially the idea of a bucket list. What worries me is the idea that if I make a bucket list, what if I don't get to cross off everything that is on it? What if I look back, and regret my life, because not everything was crossed off? This is why I like to do things backwards. I hold off on the list making. Instead, I wait until I accomplish something big, and then I choose to write it down to remember it. For example, I may write down getting a good grade on an essay, or going on vacation somewhere. This way, if I ever look back on my list of accomplishments, I won't feel regret for not doing something, but I will feel success for what I have already accomplished.
Whether or not a person makes lists can really tell a lot about them. I definitely learned a lot about my class members during our brief, thirty minute discussion. Next time you find yourself writing a list, stop for a minute, and think about what you are doing, and why. You may learn something new about yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I am an interesting case. I don't make lists, except for things like grocery shopping. I don't have a bucket list, because I feel that whatever cool experiences that I have before I die will be uniquely exciting. I don't need to stress myself out by not being able to accomplish one of the things on my list. In the same breath, I enjoy crossing things off lists, but in my life, when a list starts, it never ends. I just keep adding things until I can't possibly do everything. I write myself notes to remind myself to do things, and take pride in my pretty good memory. I like remembering things, and keep general ideas about what I want to do in the future and goals and such in my head.

    ReplyDelete